Friday, July 24, 2009

How To Get Hired On The Spot

Preparation Meets Expectation

Getting hired for a job means you already done your preparation. You need to cover all the basics. Have your updated resume at hand. Make sure your references are updated. Contact people you've been out of touch with and ask them if you can use them as a reference. Sometimes your reference might relocate to a new place or might change industry. It is always good to keep in touch with people and don't wait until you need their help to contact them.

How I got my job this summer

I was a displaced worker when the school year ended. I was told a few days before the job fair that I needed to go to find a job. Knowing this at the last minute I gathered my resume, references, certification and put them all in my portfolio. I kept in touch with my references so I didn't have to ask them If it was okay to use them.

The day before the Interview

The day before the job fair, I printed about twenty resume's and certification to give out to my prospects. I had all my stuff together the night before and I was ready and set to go. Additionally, my clothes were prepared too.

The day of the job fair

I knew exactly what I wanted and how I was going to approach it. I named all the positions I wanted on my name tag. I listed my name first with the positions I wanted. This gave the prospects an idea of the kind of jobs I wanted.


The Interview


I was first interviewed for a position that I didn't sign up for. What I mean is I had time on hand before my first interview to look around and greet other prospects. It so happened that this principal was looking for someone with my qualification. I nailed the interview which was the first one. I answered all the questions with enthusiasm. I knew my subject area and I showed passion for it. There was no doubt that I was the right person for the job. As a result of my interviewing skills, I was hired on the spot.

You too can have the same result. Make sure you've passion for the job you seek. You need to know your area of expertise and go sell yourself. Best of luck in your job interview. I hope to hear from you on how you got your job. Stay tuned for more hot topics.

Copyrighted 2009 by Annmarie Edwards (AKA Mrs. Laughing Pants).

2 comments:

John said...

I'm learning new tricks to be hired quickly. Thanks for the tips!
Jane@Career Colleges

John said...
This comment has been removed by the author.